Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spire Homes Longhurst Group Green?

 Spire Homes Part of the Longhurst Group is very proud of its green award, so why are they destroy green habitat here in Oakham?

Cathy Sellars, Project Manager, said “I am delighted that we have received national recognition for the environmental accomplishments on the Seaton Road Uppingham scheme. It is a fantastic achievement for Spire Homes and it demonstrates our commitment to environmental best practice

Earlier this year Spire Homes instructed contractor to destroy hedge rows throughout Rutland and replace with concrete posts and shoddy wooden fences and gates.

Many residents complained to Spire Homes and work was stopped after it was found nesting of birds was being disturbed.

The work has now restarted and speaking to local resident they are not happy with the destruction.

Some have said they find their gates are hung the wrong way. I have learnt there is a correct way  to hang a gate.

Of course these thin wooden gates have replaced some very sturdy metal gates.

The issue I have with Spire Homes is I am lease holder and jointly own a path with two exits and as the freeholders they are legally obliged to consult with the lease holders before carrying out any works.

They never consult lease holders and always lay the blame with there contractors. It is not the contractors responsibility the are only meant to carry out work.

The last issue with Spire Homes I had with Spire Homes was when I received a letter in my door from a contractor telling me he required access to my home to replace a TV aerial and if I could not b e home to leave a key with some one. This letter was also sent to tenants who asked me was it a scam.

Now if Spire Homes had consulted with residents it would not have been a issue.

Spire home gave leaseholder a free aerial I am not sure why all my neighbours had just recently spent hundreds of pounds upgrading their aerials but happily accept the new free aerial.

When Spire home took over from Rutland County Council the government gave them millions of pounds they would not give to Rutland County Council. I am guessing its a case of we have the money so lets spend it. most of the contractor benefiting from this windfall are based outside Rutland.

The ones destroying hedge rows should win an award for the most inconsiderate contractor as they have broadcast Radio One to the whole street since the early hour of the morning.  One neighbour asked me is it legal for them to employ children.

To finish when is Spire Homes going to listen to resident all your mountains of junk mail say you do, but my experience is you don't!



This gate post in good condition like many others will
be removed later and replace with a new concrete
post like so many other what a waste.


Many Spire Homes Tenants now find they have no privacy 
this is the back garden now clearly visible 
from the street.