Friday, June 07, 2013

A message, oakham mayor, adam lowe, skatepark?

As my first month draws to a close since I became chairman of oakham town council and mayor of oakham I wanted to share what has been an eventful month.
My plans to raise the profile of rutland reminders have begun with a tea dance being planned for early July.
Rutland reminders is a group of local volunteers formed in 2010 to offer therapy through singing for people with dementia.

I said I wanted to deal with 3 issues the first issue was to rebuild our skatepark it was damaged and unusable when the contractor was on site most recently I had an opportunity to see the full extent of the damage to the sub frame.

Fortunately he was able to carry out a essential repairs and attach new skate light sheets so that once again we have a fully functioning and I might add a well used state park.


I would like very much to look beyond these repairs and I am asking for feedback what do as skate borders want?

If you have any ideas or suggestions on the skatepark or indeed if anyone has any views they want to share with the council please write to the town council:

Clerk: Richard White
Victoria Hall, 39 High Street, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6AH
Tel: 01572 723627

We shall try and deliver if we do not know though we are totally in the dark.

So my first month as your representative I attended the civic parade in stamford an opportunity to meet many have a new mayors.

The presentation by the army engagement group at saint georges barracks was very informative and with an increased military presence in rutland the integration and working in partnerships can only make rutland a better place to live and work.

On the subject of the military I also met several ex servicemen and women at the launch of the rutland community spirit social club mostly men on mondays, an orgnaization I am happy to support not least because I do some volunteer work with rutland community spirit.

Another highlight of the month has to be the crowning of the may king and queen at catmose primary, a fantastic school with talented children.

As the month drew to a close I was invited to open the garden of ############# in Lonsdale Way and visit the gardens of mr and mrs merchant and mr and mrs wolloff - three fan tastic gardens open to the public over the bank holiday weekend in aid of the Rutland and melton cancer support group.

My mum was topped off with my attendance at the high sheriff of rutlands garden party, an opportunity to build relationships and discuss what 2013 holds in store.

1 of these discussion points was another of my objectives. Oakham town council has twelve seats with 3 vacancies and to that end my desire to fill them is where you come in.

1 might believe my month is pretty full and that having a full time job makes it impossible to be a councillor.
That is not the case and now with the vacancies being notified on all of the three vacant seats this is the time to throw your hat in the ring.

Check out the notice board or enquire at the town council office in the victoria hall.
3 years ago I joined the council thinking it was just planning meetings and christmas lights ( these are on the June 12th Agenda (PDF, 79 Kb) by the way).

Here I am 3 years mater having gone through 1 election meeting and working with great people who like me have one objective serving the people of oakham being part of the solution not part of the problem is another way of saying it.

To put it simply if you have good ideas and want to try and make a difference why not channel them through oakham town council, there are only 3 seats and honestly I'm no oakham have a lot more than 3 candidates who could fill them.

1 month down what does tomorrow hold honestly I can't wait to find out.

Adam Lowe

Town Council Vacancies
Oakham Town Council currently has three vacant seats. These are in the Oakham North East, Oakham North West and Oakham South East Wards.
These vacancies have been advertised today (23rd May 2013) in the Town Council noticeboards outside Rutland County Library, on Gaol Street and outside the Victoria Hall.
10 electors from each of the wards may call for an election in their respective ward.
If no election is called then the Town Council can fill the vacancies by co-option.
Please use the link below to view the Statutory Notices of Vacancy
Notices of Vacancy (PDF, 1008 Kb)