Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Oakham Town Council Planning Sub-Committee despotic control freaks Meeting Report

Oakham Town Council Planning Sub-Committee despotic control freaks Meeting Report

I and two others wanted to attend this meeting, due to work and travel this was not possible.

At exactly 6.07pm I telephone the Clerk Richard White, I told him my bus had just arrived in Oakham and I would like to make a deputation. He told me the meeting hand ended!

I attempted to raise the issue of meeting timings at the follow on parks and planning meeting, Cllr Stubbs refused my request. You can not raise anything relating to council procedures, during public deputations if its not on the agenda.

I wonder who this town council serves? It members own ego's might be a good answer.

I waited for the meeting to end and asked the Mayor if she minded if I could have a chat? she did not object.
Unfortunately I was aggressively interrupted by Cllr Stan Stubbs who lied to the Rutland Times during the election falsely claiming he had been a Wiltshire County Councillor. He recently expressed his disgust that I had looked into his political past. Anyway enough of that, he said "We can have council meetings! when we want!  at any time we decide!" then he added "where are the people! when we have meetings at normal times?" I pointed out to him when the public want to attend, normally when something effects them they do. Mr Stubbs has not yet seen the tiny council chamber full, I have.

Once again I find myself questioning the point of the Town Council? a town council that is clearly not interested in any public input.

Cllr Stubbs who chairs the parks and planning committee claims to have planning experience and knowledge, I am afraid I fail to see that.

For example tonight he told members of the parks and planning committee they could not object to a retail premises change of use application. So members approved the application adding comments expressing their concerns about impact to the area the change would have. Looking stupid because their comments all contradicted approval.



The first meeting of the planning sub committee appeared to have ended in record time.

Cllr Martin was elected chairman.

The terms of reference were agreed.

I have seen these, the committee of three (Cllr John Nowell could not be bothered to attend) decided they will consider all planning applications.

They will decide if a planning application is major and should be considered by the full council.

They will also decide to delegate to the Clerk or Assistant.

The full council will not be able to call in a application.

I ask what is the role or purpose of the other eight Councillors?

Cllr Lucas at previous meeting asked Cllr Stubbs, what input she as a ward Councillor would have? he replied none!

So it would seem as things stand, if I approached my ward Councillor about a planning application he can only go along and contribute three minutes at public deputations!

I can not understand how Oakham Town Council is permitting this undemocratic change?

I hope when the proposed terms of reference are put before  the full council they are turned down.

The council is too small for this sub-committee.

Yes please! some if not all Councillor get some planning training, personal views and opinions I heard once again tonight are not planning considerations.




Oakham Town Council Planning Sub - Committee, Agenda, 25th June 2014

Oakham Town Council
Victoria Hall, 39 High Street, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6AH
Telephone: 01572 723627
e-mail: enquiries@oakhamtowncouncil.gov.uk


A MEETING OF
OAKHAM TOWN COUNCIL’S
PLANNING SUB - COMMITTEE
6.00PM WEDNESDAY JUNE 25TH
2014
VICTORIA HALL, 39, HIGH STREET, OAKHAM

AGENDA

1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
 To elect a Chairman of the Sub – Committee for the remainder of the municipal year

2. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
 (i) To receive apologies for absence
 (ii) To decide whether to approve apologies for absence

3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members are asked to declare, if required:
(i) Any Disclosable Pecuniary Interest they may have in respect to items on the agenda
(ii) Any other interest they may have in respect to items on the agenda

4. DEPUTATIONS BY THE PUBLIC
 Members of the Public are invited to address the meeting in accordance with procedures laid
 down in Standing Order 1(d) – 1(i)

5. TERMS OF REFERENCE (Appendix A)
To agree on the Sub – Committee’s Terms of Reference to be submitted to the Council for
approval

Richard White
 Clerk to the Council
19th
 June 2014

Distribution
Members of the Planning sub – committee
Other members – For information