Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Rutland & Melton Liberal Democrats have announced, Ed Reynolds has been selected as PPC for Rutland and Melton


















Ed Reynolds has been selected as PPC for Rutland and Melton

Rutland & Melton Liberal Democrats have announced the selection of Edward Reynolds as the Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for the General Election:

Edward is 38 years old and lives in Oakham. He married Robyn in January at St Andrew's, Hambleton and they have a 5 month old son. Edward went to the University of the West of England and he has worked in event management, recruitment and has spent the last 8 years working in the renewable energy sector. He is currently the sales manager for an Oakham based company.

Edward is truly a local candidate. His family were tenant farmers in Cold Overton for 60 years. In fact both his grandfathers farmed in the constituency. Ed and Robyn have just bought a new house in Oakham using the government's help-to-buy scheme. Ed still occasionally pulls on his rugby boots for Oakham RFC.

Edward has been a member of the Liberal Democrats for over 10 years and for the last 2 years he has been the Membership Development & Data Officer.

Speaking after his selection was announced, Edward Reynolds said:
"I am a firm believer that the Liberal Democrats are the only party who can deliver a stronger economy and a fairer society";
"We have proved this in the coalition by delivering over 1m new jobs in the private sector and 3,100 apprenticeships here in Rutland & Melton. Our policies, such as expanding free childcare, bringing in equal marriage, raising the income tax threshold and introducing the pupil premium have benefited a huge number of people. We have given a £800 tax cut to 24m low and middle earners, including 39,500 basic rate taxpayers here in Rutland & Melton. Schools in our constituency alone have received over £5,311,000 from the pupil premium since 2010 and we have ensured pension increases for 22,000 local pensioners".

Speaking about his campaign Edward went on to say:

"Having lived in the constituency for most of my life, I know that issues such as public transport and mobile & broadband connectivity are vitally important for rural communities and businesses. I want to focus on these types of local issues.

I can honestly say that I love this place (Melton & Rutland). I grew up here and we are raising our family here. I want the same things for everyone who lives here, as I want for my family: the best local NHS services, the best schools, affordable housing and excellent care for the elderly.

There are many local issues that I feel strongly about. Specifically I will be campaigning to retain two fire engines in Oakham, to re-establish a permanent ambulance station in Melton and to improve police response times in Melton and Rutland, especially the rural areas, despite the planned £15m police cuts by 2017.

My agricultural background means that I care deeply about the problems that farmers face, such as the fall in milk prices.

I consider the retention and expansion of the military presence in the area to be very important and I intend to work hard to help improve the integration of army personnel into the community.
I have spent the last 8 years of my career working in the renewable energy sector. I am passionate about protecting the environment for future generations. I am proud that the Lib Dems have introduced the world's first Green Investment Bank, triggering £15bn of private investment in low carbon projects. I want to make Rutland and Melton a beacon for renewable enterprise. However renewable energy technologies must not be installed at the expense of social harmony. What we need is community energy projects, where the beneficiaries are the local community not wealthy investors.
I am passionate about liberal values such as fairness and opportunity for all.

In particular I am determined to help young people gain a good start in life and to get people positively engaged in politics and in society.

I hope I can reconnect voters to the political process and start rebuilding trust in politicians.
If elected I would always put those I represent first - above career, above expenses and where necessary above party politics.

I believe that my local background and the fact that I am not a career politician, but someone who lives and works in the real world, means that voters in Rutland and Melton can relate to me and hopefully vote for me.

After 147 years of Tory MPs and 23 years of Alan Duncan - It's time for a change!

You can contact Ed on:

Email: EdReynoldsPPC@gmail.com
Facebook: Ed Reynolds Lib Dem
Twitter: @RandMLibDems