Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Oakham Town Council Planning and Parks Meeting 24th June 2015

Oakham Town Council Planning and Parks Meeting 24th June 2015

Video to follow


Tonights meeting reminded me of school.

When people like Cllr Stan Stubs and Cllr Blanksby are laughing
and talking whilst I am trying to make my contribution to the
meeting, it is very hard not to be affected by their conduct.

It was very apparent this evening that many Councillors had
not done their home work or simply read the agenda before the meeting.

This was very obvious when the council agreed to ask Rutland
County Council for a time extension so they can comment on
a local plan document.

It was about thirty pages, so I can understand it would take
time to read, it took me a couple of hours. But I feel if
you are going to be a effective town council you should read
all the reports and documents.

Oakham Town is not often consulted, but each time
Rutland County Council does the response from the
Town Council if they can be bothered to respond is pathetic.

At the end of the meeting Cllrs Stubbs and Blanksby approached
the Mayor Cllr Alf Dewis and said they are fed up with me
on the council.

Fed up why? because I  want a town council that serves our
community and is not an old boys club that just exists to
spend the public's money

Tonights meeting was attended by members of the public
I was pleased to find a message when I arrived home.


How do you put up with them?
They are so clicky but I think you did well I like your style 


A member of the public gave a very good three minute
deputation about the royce recreation ground tree issue.
Whilst this was happening some Councillors showed
no respect and started holding a conversation.
The Chairman of the meeting asked them to stop.

The Council agreed to solve a dispute between them and
 residents by agreeing to set up a maintenance plan
for a tree the residents wanted felling.
The council has failed to satisfy the residents for
a period of over 12 years. I don't think this will end
the dispute.


The council is going to enter again into the Green Flag
Award. Cllr Blanksby said I was lying about the
litter that appears in Cutts Close. I have posted about
this many times in the past and supported the posts
with video and photographs, to me the Green Flag
is a waste of money, Cllr Lucas did say she looks
at the Green Flag site for parks to visit on her
travels, I have never heard anyone else say they
do that. I pointed out the council pays to win the
flag and then fails to use the perks or benefits that
come with that, the basic thing was nothing was
added to the page on the Green Flag website.
Concerts were not included or any other event
so if there are others like Councillor Lucas visiting the
site, they would think nothing happened in the park.


The council decided to put out to tender the Christmas
Lights for Christmas 2015, The Clerk's office was asked to do
it earlier this year and did not, no reason was given. We
must not blame anyone for their failings.

Oakham Town Council will not be advertising summer
events on Rutland Radio.
I was asked to create a report, I did so although from
the beginning I knew the council would not approve
it, preferring the Rutland Times read by so few.

No report has ever been created for the use of the
Rutland Times, Councillors normally tell the Clerk
to use them and no one even questions the cost.

The meeting went over two hours so my filming ceased, the
camera battery dies at 2 hours, it is fortunate it did
because the meeting fell into complete shambles
and the planning application were all rushed through.

One Councillor pointed out to me after the meeting
due to the number of items on the agenda if we
had given each about ten minutes the meeting
would have gone on for over 200 minutes.

There is an issue with how the councils business is
managed and pressure is put on us to rush everything
and if you do try to debate anything, a few like
Cllr Stubbs and Blanksby would prefer you did not.