Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Oakham Town Council Special Council meeting for Monday 29 June 2015 to review the decision to submit the 2014/15 accounts Incompetence and neglect

Oakham Town Council Special Council meeting for Monday 29 June 2015  7.00pm to review the decision to submit the 2014/15 accounts Incompetence and neglect



My Email Sent To All Oakham Town Councillors


Dear All

Back in 2010 I asked a professional accountant and friend to comment on Oakham Town Councils
Accounts, his response was not good. I sent this to the Clerk and this resulted in a lot of crap
coming into my life.

Nothing has changed in the way Oakham Town Council accounts are presented it is
clear they are getting worse.

At the last meeting, I was one of three who voted against accepting the accounts.
I am no expert when it comes to accounting, but I can see from what was presented
in front of me to consider was unacceptable. If my memory of the meeting is
correct two other councillors voted against the accounts. The Clerk comments
"I dont know why" despite three of us raising concerns.

Now we are all told those audit-ted and accepted accounts are incorrect and we
have to hold an extra meeting to resolve this.

In his email to us all the chairman states:

I have also requested the Finance Working Group to investigate the the
position and to provide a factual written report on the time line and actions 
taken without any indication of fault or error.

This council pays a considerable sum of money for this work and I strongly disagree
with the report should be written without any indication of fault or error.

Incompetence and neglect has and still is a serious issue, this current council
needs to admit and address this it can not be permitted to continue.

You may all remember the Clerks answer to a question put to him at
a recent meeting when the annual governance failings were considered
He was asked what can the external auditors do. He replied nothing.
As Councillors we are responsible for these failings and should ensure
action is taken so this does happen again.

I will not be accepting the revised accounts on Monday.

I will be asking the council to ensure an independent auditor is
brought in ASAP to check all aspects of the councils accounting
processes.

When the statement of accounts is sent to the external auditor
I will be lodging an objection.

From

Martin Brookes




On 22/06/2015 at 12:42, Richard White wrote:

> Martin
>
> Please see below from Alf

> Dear Colleagues
>
> I have asked Richard to arrange a Special Council meeting for Monday 29 June
>
> 2015 at 7.00pm to review the decision to submit the 2014/15 accounts in
>
> their present format.

> Apparently two invoices from Wilkins Chapman and Setfords were included in
>
> the wrong year and I have decided that Council should decide whether they
>
> should be restated or submitted as agreed at the last Council meeting.
>
> I have also requested the Finance Working Group to investigate the the
>
> position and to provide a factual written report on the timeline and actions
>
> taken without any indication of fault or error. I realise the timescale is
>
> extremely tight but we have to submit the accounts by 30 June. I have asked
>
> the WG to provide that report as soon as possible realising that it may not
>
> be ready to go with the agenda on Wednesday. If this timescale proves
>
> difficult then hopefully they can deliver by Friday 26th so that you will
>
> have the weekend to digest it. There will also be the opinion of the
>
> external auditor available for your information.
>

> It is unfortunate that I have been unable to give greater notice but I'm
>
> sure that you will understand the need for rapid positive action at this
>
> time.

> Regards

> Alf

> Richard White

> Clerk to Oakham Town Council

> 01572 723627