Friday, July 10, 2015

Oakham Skate Park Update

I closed the Heras fencing around the skate park before I left yesterday and just wanted to let you know my thoughts.

There were a few elements that I was disappointed with and with the concerns that were also raised yesterday I have added points below and action points to them also.

Issues:
Position of grind benches being too close to the Fun box
(please see attached roller sports standards indicating a 2m safety zone from the fun box which I checked yesterday and is compliant to EN 14974)

Quarter pipe curved skating surface too steep
(please see attached the roller sports standard, I have checked the dimensions and the unit is compliant to EN 14974)
Coating of ramps

Missing fixings on quarter pipe
(I will arrange for these to be fitted when we return for the thresholds of the ramps)

Wood chocks for cladding area
(I will arrange for this to be removed when we return for the thresholds of the ramps)

As you would expect the major issue is the thresholds where the ramps meet the tarmac.

Whilst I only feel one of the thresholds out of the six was of the standard I expect there is an issue with the two quarter pipes as the camber of the tarmac underneath the old ramps it will be impossible for me to close the gaps fully with our present design.

With this in mind I currently have two options which I have listed below.

Option 1
We would have to design some new thresholds that will allow us to close the gaps on the uneven tarmac but I would also replace the other thresholds so that the whole skate park looks uniform. If we go for this option then we will have a couple of days design time and then I will arrange for the items to be manufactured and installed once designed.

Option 2
A 25mm tarmac skim across the whole area would be the best option as I would remove all of the thresholds and build the tarmac up to the levels of the skate ramps. As this is an unexpected cost I would be able to cover the 92.5 sq m of the area for a discounted price £1,734 ex vat.

May I also express my gratitude for your understanding in this matter and if you could advise as quickly as possible if you would like me to proceed with the tarmac skim then I will arrange for this as quickly as possible.

If this is not an option for the council I will arrange for the thresholds to be manufactured as quickly as possible and then fitted.

Either way, I will try and get the park open as quickly as possible which ever option is chosen.