Thursday, July 09, 2015

Oakham Town Council "sloppiness or even incompetence in preparing the Council's Annual Accounts"

Oakham Town Council "sloppiness or even incompetence in preparing the Council's Annual Accounts"















































Above are photographs of page one and two of a report  read out at last nights meeting.

You will see the from this it was reported there had been "sloppiness or even incompetence
in preparing the Council's Annual Accounts"

I have been justifiable critical of Oakham Town Council since 2010

Falsely accused of bullying the clerk for pointing out his past sloppiness and
incompetence and sometimes downright rudeness.

I have also been treated in the same way by some current and past members of
this council or perhaps I should say club.

I trust the good councillor who produced this report will not be treated in the
same way.

The alleged sloppiness and incompetence is going to cost the taxpayer.
The overpaid clerk should be sacked or resign only Oakham Town
Council will tolerate such serious failings.



I have written the following letter to the Rutland Mercury and Rutland Times

Dear Editor

As a councillor for Oakham South East and a Resident I am very concerned
about Oakham Town Council's failure to comply with the law, the council has now
missed the deadline for submitting it's 2014 - 2015 accounts to external auditors.

I am also very concerned about the apparent relaxed attitude some of
my fellow member are taking. This is a serious failing by Oakham Town
Council. It also undermines the confidence I should have in the systems
and procedure I am meant to trust.

The town council employ people to carry out the work required,
primarily to account for the spending of taxpayers money. This has
have failed.

Whilst attempting to raise accounting concerns since June 10th
the council has in my opinion acted in an extremely unprofessional
way.

I was told my observations were incorrect and later told I was
correct, I was prevented from addressing this at a special meeting
on the 29th June, at this same meeting I was unlawfully excluded.

Last night (8th July) at a meeting of the Town Council we
were given a report, this was also read out we were told "there had been
sloppiness or even incompetence in preparing the Council's Annual Accounts".

It was decided to appoint an external auditor who will inspect the town
council's accounts and who will report back to members at a later stage.

In any organisation there is no place for "sloppiness or even incompetence"
even at local government level. I would hope Oakham Town Council
will take the appropriate action needed to redress this current situation.

Taxpayers money must be correctly accounted for.

Currently I have no confidence in Oakham Town Councils
ability to achieve this.