Saturday, August 29, 2015

Oakham Fun Day, Oakham Deputy Mayor Cllr Adam Lowe Fundraising Questions to Oakham Town Council

Oakham Fun Day, Oakham Deputy Mayor Cllr Adam Lowe Fundraising Questions to Oakham Town Council.

Dear All

At the recent fun day a number of charities attended and ran stalls to raise funds for 
their good causes.

Among those stalls was one run by our deputy Mayor, the stall included various 
traditional children's games. I was surprised to see there were notices displaying
various charges. I asked Cllr Lowe why he was charging and what charity was he
supporting? He answered none, he went on to tell me he had purchased the games 
and gazebo out of his own pocket and did not want the council to pay because I would 
complain about the expenditure. He also said if the items remained his property
he could then use them at any event elsewhere.

When I was part of the events organising group it was my understanding that all 
the activities in the park would be free to use. I was aware of costs like hire charges
and others it was not a issue. Cllr Lowes stall was not mention until I received a list
days before the event.

During the event Cllr Lowe walked around the park with a pirate and a collecting 
pot asking people to name the pirate, he was pleased by the public response and
told me that people were generous by putting extra money in the pot.

That does not surprise me as I am sure many people associate that sort
of activity with charity fund raising. Although Cllr Lowe did not claim he was fund 
raising for charity I and others consider his venture misled members of the public
into paying for property which Cllr Lowe said will remain his personal property.

Yesterday I sent Cllr Lowe a text using the number displayed on council notice
boards and on-line about this subject and he responded with why are you sending
me text messages using this private number to bully and harass me?

Can I request if Cllr Lowe is going to use council events in the future to raise
money to supplement his personal income, could the council not ask him
to display a notice stating his stall this a commercial venture and not a charity 
venture to avoid any possible confusion or misunderstanding that might happen.

I also believe Cllr Lowes personal fund deprived the good causes present of 
a share of much needed funds. 

Oakham Town Council provided a tea stall offering free tea.  On that stall there
was a white  pot marked with pen donations. Please can you tell me what happened 
to those donations? The pot was almost full.  All the official charities had as you
would expect used very clearly sealed labeled buckets and tins. Why does it appear rules
once again don't apply to Oakham Town Council?