Thursday, September 15, 2016

General Power of Competence (empowerment act) Oakham Town Council No Budget Controls

Dear Oakham Town Council

General Power of Competence (empowerment act)

At last nights meeting Cllr Lowe told members wrongly at first that the council could do something due to
(empowerment act) official title General Power of Competence.

At the meeting I forgot to point out that Oakham Town Council can no longer use that power
This is due the condition of the eligibility criteria  that the council needs the Clerk  to be qualified and trained in the
use of the power. Which Richard claimed he was although many attempts have been made by the council to abuse
the power.

Does Malcolm have the qualification. I don't think we need to hurry to reinstate the power because
I don't think the town council is planning anything that would require us to use the power.

Also at last nights meeting the Chairman suggested the reason the councils budget has numerous overspends
was due to me assisting the Citizens Advice their requested funding. That comment was very daft because
the funding came from the council reserves not from any of the various budget headings that have considerable
overspends.
I remind the council many times when the budget was being prepared for this year I asked for a heading to
be included for funding the CA and will do the same again for next year and I hope this time I wont be ignored.

I am very concerned that the general administration of the council heading is already nearly £15,000 over spent
there appears to be a lack of control of budget spending.

From

Martin Brookes