Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Oakham Town Council Councillors Question and Pecuniary Interest Finding

Dear Oakham Town Council

Please accept the following Councillors question for the next available meeting.



It has been brought to my attention by other members that my name is excluded from 

the council email list, meaning that when all members are sent information like the

assistant clerks holiday and availability of the locum clerk I am excluded from this information.

please can the council tell me why I am being excluded?



From Cllr Martin Brookes (OSE)



Dear Oakham Town Council

For information, when Mr Nowell was a member of this council he often failed

to declare interests.

The last incident I reported to Rutland County Council and was ignored so I

called Leicestershire police and reported Mr Nowell for committing a criminal

offence covered by the localism act. At the time Leicestershire Police simply

responded with it was not a matter for the police.

The professional standards body at Leicestershire Police have confirmed today

that it was a police matter and have done some research into the localism

act and find Mr Nowell did breach that act by not declaring a interest.

The matter will be dealt with by local resolution.

Leicestershire Police are working with Cambridgeshire Police to work

on a policy as the force does not currently have one for dealing with

issues with the localism act. They have appointed Sgt Barker to work

on this who will also work with the monitoring officer.

As part of the police investigation they looked at a case of a Bournemouth

Cllr who did not declare his involvement with a charity which was asking the

council for money. He received a conditional discharge and £900 court costs.

It can be costly and serious cases could see a Cllr sent to prison.

I personally think that if I had any connection to an organisation asking

for money i would declare to be safe rather than sorry.

I am waiting a copy of the police report and will share the relevant

acts which Mr Nowell breached with all once I receive it.



Can I also suggest once again the council gets on with sorting out full training for

us all, because all these new rules and regulations are quite complicated.



From



Martin Brookes