Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Corrupt? Staffing Committee Oakham Town Council Meeting 18th September 2017 Video





For a long time I have been asking Oakham Town Council who changed the Locum Clerks
Job Description, it was not until I received the minutes of the staffing committee did I find it was the
members of the staffing committee. May 2017 Cllrs Haley, Lowe and Skipworth made
a the decision.

I made a complaint, because the committee has no powers to make any decisions
it could only make recommendations to full council.

I turned up for the meeting the Clerk Allison Greaves saw me arrive shut the office blinds
and made me wait outside. Whilst outside a drunk pestered me for money to travel to
Melton.

Eventually I was let in I found the two new members with the Mayor who were co-opted at the
last meeting of the council in secret?

I asked if they had finished and was told yes so I spoke to one of the new members and asked them
a question the Mayor Michael Haley very rudely interrupted.

The Clerk arrived hand me a bulky envelope and said "your emails"
I threw them on the council table in the direction of the Mayor and asked the council
to stop treating me like this. The Clerk is refusing to send me email and wastes paper
printing council emails and delivering to me by hand.

The meeting started and to my surprise Cllr Lowe  proposed an amendment to the minute and a change was made to say the committee would be making recommendations to councils regarding the locum Clerk.

I this corruption? if the committee had decided to make a recommendation instead of a
decision as minuted, why did it not ever come before full council for approval?

I also gave a public deputation on a staffing issue which was later discussed correctly
as an exempt item. Is it not appalling that members of the council can not address its
committee as a member and has to give a public deputation. Especially when they
are commenting on an exempt agenda item.

Cllr Ann Skipworth complained I was wearing my Cllrs badge whilst giving my deputation.

The Mayor rather oddly asked, should he address me as Cllr Brookes or Mr
I know and he knows, he should have called been addressed as Cllr but to humour him I answered Mr.

When we came to the exemption, the members of the committee excluded all other
members of the council not members of the committee, I refused to leave in protest
stating I was not going to stand in the street until our 8pm meeting.
So the committee locked themselves in the office and carried out the meeting
there. A lot of laughter could be heard.